If you haven’t already created an account for this website you can do so here. If you already have an account for this website, please login here.
Fiber OpticLocal 230
Fri Dec 16, 2022 to Sun Dec 18, 2022
Signup Deadline: Fri Dec 2, 2022 8:00 am
Class Size – Min: , Max: 10
Certified Fiber Optic Technician – is the FOA certification for general fiber optics applications. CFOTs have appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities in fiber optics that can be applied to almost any job – design, installation, operation – for almost any application – outside plant, premises, manufacturing, etc.
To explain and/or demonstrate the following:
- Types of Fiber and Cables
- Fiber and Cable construction best practices
- Information Transmission
- Light Propagation through Fiber
- Singlemode and multimode applications
- Types of patch cords and connectors
- Numerical Aperture
- Joining Fibers with Connectors & Splices
- Cleaving and proper fiber handling and preparation
- Fiber Microscopic Inspection
- Types of Connectors and Splices
- Fiber Optic Test Equipment
- Types of applications for fiber optics
NOTE: This is a BLENDED course with both online and face-to-face course work. There is approximately 20h of online pre-work/reading required to attend this three (3) day course with the final day being the exam.
- GO TO EACH Lesson link below, read the FOA online reference, and take the online quiz and watch the FOA videos, including optional videos.
- Print-out your quizzes as this will be a great review for you for the certification test.
- The fellow who narrates the videos talks really slow, so playing it at 125% or 150% speed might be something you will want to consider.
- Please expect to spend at least 20 hours on these lessons.
The following lessons must be completed prior to the course dates.
Online lessons: Read and watch the materials linked on each lesson plan and take the quiz.
- Lesson 1: Introduction, Overview, Standards, Safety
- Lesson 2: Fiber Optic Jargon – The Language of Fiber Optics
- Lesson 3: Fiber Optic Communications
- Lesson 4: Fiber Optic Transmission Systems and Components
- Lesson 5: Optical Fiber
- Lesson 6: Fiber Optic Cables
- Lesson 7: Termination and Splicing
- Lesson 8: Fiber Optic Testing
- Lesson 9: Fiber Optic Network Design
- Lesson 10: Fiber Optic Network Installation
At the end of lesson 10 the option is given to for a certificate of completion for $20. DON’T do it. This is the CFOT course, at the end everyone will write the CFOT exam which is part of this course.
As this course is a blended format, a vast majority of the concepts are expected to be completed online prior to your arrival. Please make sure you have written and passed all the quizzes.