If you haven’t already created an account for this website you can do so here. If you already have an account for this website, please login here.
Fiber OpticLocal 230
Fri Nov 24, 2023 to Sun Nov 26, 2023
9:00 AM to 400pm
Signup Deadline: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:00 am
Class Size – Min: , Max: 10
IBEW Training Center
859 Viewfield Rd Victoria, BC V9A 4V1
Certified Fiber Optic Technician – is the FOA certification for general fiber optics applications. CFOTs have appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities in fiber optics that can be applied to almost any job – design, installation, operation – for almost any application – outside plant, premises, manufacturing, etc.
To explain and/or demonstrate the following:
- Types of Fiber and Cables
- Fiber and Cable construction best practices
- Information Transmission
- Light Propagation through Fiber
- Singlemode and multimode applications
- Types of patch cords and connectors
- Numerical Aperture
- Joining Fibers with Connectors & Splices
- Cleaving and proper fiber handling and preparation
- Fiber Microscopic Inspection
- Types of Connectors and Splices
- Fiber Optic Test Equipment
- Types of applications for fiber optics
NOTE: This is a BLENDED course with both online and face-to-face course work. There is approximately 20h of online pre-work/reading required to attend this three (3) day course with the final day being the exam.
- GO TO EACH Lesson link below, read the FOA online reference, and take the online quiz and watch the FOA videos, including optional videos.
- Print-out your quizzes as this will be a great review for you for the certification test.
- The fellow who narrates the videos talks really slow, so playing it at 125% or 150% speed might be something you will want to consider.
- Please expect to spend at least 20 hours on these lessons.
The following lessons must be completed prior to the course dates.
Online lessons: Read and watch the materials linked on each lesson plan and take the quiz.
- Lesson 1: Introduction, Overview, Standards, Safety
- Lesson 2: Fiber Optic Jargon – The Language of Fiber Optics
- Lesson 3: Fiber Optic Communications
- Lesson 4: Fiber Optic Transmission Systems and Components
- Lesson 5: Optical Fiber
- Lesson 6: Fiber Optic Cables
- Lesson 7: Termination and Splicing
- Lesson 8: Fiber Optic Testing
- Lesson 9: Fiber Optic Network Design
- Lesson 10: Fiber Optic Network Installation
At the end of lesson 10 the option is given to for a certificate of completion for $20. DON’T do it. This is the CFOT course, at the end everyone will write the CFOT exam which is part of this course.
As this course is a blended format, a vast majority of the concepts are expected to be completed online prior to your arrival. Please make sure you have written and passed all the quizzes.
Red seal Electrician, Instructor Diploma, Master Electrician, FSR class A, 2014
Provincial Instructor Dipoma VCC, 2012
I got my start in the Electrical trade in 1999, working as an apprentice for Canem Systems and Western Electrical in Calgary, engaging in all aspects of commercial and residential electrical work. I finished apprenticeship schooling in 2005, graduating with my Red Seal. I was hired at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) in 2006 to instruct electrical apprentices. I remained a faculty member until 2014, when my family and I decided to relocate to Vancouver Island.
Once I had settled in the Comox Valley region, I started a successful electrical company specializing in new home construction, service upgrades, service calls and some light commercial work.
With WJETS I teach Code Update Courses, Conduit Bending (levels 1-3) Fire Alarm, Fiber Optic and also hold contracts for Academic Support. In addition, I am an electrical instructor at North Island college, Campbell River Campus.